Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Whew.

Today was a long one. The kids in this camp were rambunctious as hell, and I don't know why, but I'm such a hardass towards them. I try not to be, but it's hard when you have 12 boys who, quite frankly, don't listen. I feel this need to enforce discipline because it appears that their parents do not, and I'm not into letter kids get away with whatever they want. Structure is good. For the last three days I've been road-biking like hell with these campers. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it but in reality I've been having an amazing time - I didn't realize how much I would love road-biking. Obviously it's a lot easier on a road bike, not my cheap ass heavy mountain bike. It's refreshing and satisfying to arrive somewhere without the use of fossil fuels.

Last night I needed some air and after dropping my boss' wife at a meeting, I stopped at a small park here in Portland that was, literally, covered in roses. There was an enormous fountain in the center and rows upon rows of different types of roses with walkways in between. Little kids were frolicking in the fountain and two women with their dogs came by. The black lab jumped right in, but the Buick-sized pit bull had to be yanked by leash. I put my feet into the water and breathed in the cool evening air. There was an echo of music in the distance; I think I could have stayed there for hours if it wasn't heading towards night. After reluctantly pulling my feet from the water I walked around and checked out the roses. I've realized that when I smell a rose, it's much like kissing a lover - I find myself cupping the flower's petals as though it had cheeks and pushing my nose into it, eyes closed, inhaling the perfume. I've never been interested in growing roses myself, but when I'm around them, I recognize the appeal. The colors were intoxicating alone.

Tomorrow I board a bus for Spokane. I would prefer to be driving but my car was in the shop twice this week and I don't want to risk breaking down somewhere between Portland and Spokane with no one to rescue me. Taking a bus forces me out of my comfort zone. An argument with Erin last night has accomplished the same, on top of staying with people I barely know in a city I barely know, preparing to leave for a week for 4 days in the wilderness with no food. This must be my task.

I will return on the ninth. If you would like to participate, send me good energy or pray for me to be granted guidance while I'm on the hill, from the 4th to the 8th.

No comments: