Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lame-o.

Okay, so often I feel like a lame-o because I really have nothing interesting to talk about. My life seems so mundane, punctuated with a rolling of the eyes from Erin's antics or a belly laugh caused by my coworker Joan, who has something funny to say about every 3 minutes. Even if it's not really funny, SHE laughs and therefore causes YOU to laugh.

So I run summer camp program for kids. The programs were all decided before I got here by two girls who then up and left, with no one to perform said programs (parents had already registered). In I come, along with another woman, to run these camps to the best of our abilities under guidelines that are often ridiculous. For example, one camp advertised that campers would be able to interact with "a basket of kittens" and we actually received a complaint because said basket of said kittens was not available. I ask you.. where exactly does one get a basket of kittens? Shockingly, most people say, "the Humane Society." Have you ever walked into the Humane Society and said, "Excuse me, but may I please have a basket of kittens?" We're not ordering fries here, people. You can't rent kittens. But maybe that would be a lucrative business prospect...

What we DID have was a bearded dragon and a ball python. Which I thought was way freagin' cooler than kittens. By a long shot. I'd much rather play with animals that would sooner EAT a basket of kittens. And once, the bearded dragon took a gigantic dump on one of the kids that spends most of her day whining and/or vying for attention, so it was twice as awesome for me. I would like to note that bearded dragons poop approximately once a week. And it chose her.

Those are the moments that make the day that much more bearable. Not that I don't love my job, because who can beat this: outside every single day (although I am beginning to feel over-cooked and am turning surprisingly brown as if to corroborate that feeling), visiting awesome natural places around Central Oregon and getting paid for it, playing fun games like capture the flag and getting paid for it, and a host of other things that I'm too baked right now (from the sun, not the herb.. or IS it the herb?) to think of. Downside? It's exhausting to spend 40 hours a week with a group of 6-10 year olds. Especially when you're an impatient grump like myself. To give myself credit though, I have been trying to be better about giving kids more patience, it's just a hard thing to do in a rich, yuppy town like Bend where half the kids never have to hear the word "no."

Today, one of the moms was talking to me about real estate. I told her Erin and I are looking to rent a little house but have a hard time finding one that will let us have a pit. She told me to buy, it's a buyer's market, go for it! I gave her a funny look that suggested she was out of her freaking mind and explained, gently, that Erin and I between us have less than $3000 to our names. A very brief expression passed her face as though she didn't understand what I was saying, and then she flounced away and suggested we pressure our family for some money. After leaving her enormous house on 8 acres, I found my eyes tearing up. Pressure family? Apparently it did not occur to her that some people have families without lots of money. I felt a little wronged by that assumption, as though families always have money floating around to hand to children who want to buy a house in Bend for half a million dollars and get nothing but two bedrooms and a two-foot wide "backyard". She meant well, of course, and I can't fault her for her wealth, but obviously when you're rich enough to purchase houses all over the place and fix them up to rent out, you can't comprehend what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck. 

Thus I have begun the search for a second job. I already work full time, but goddammit, I am sick of being restricted by how much money I have in the bank. I don't expect to be able to buy a house, but I would like to experience the feeling of having, say, three to five - thousand dollars in my bank account. To be that secure. And really, to most people (at least it seems this way in Bend), that's chump change. But it's chump change I would welcome. I am also still chugging away at my sewing projects and hope in a month or so to have my Etsy store up and running. 

On another note, I may be changing my gmail account and thus my blog, so keep an eye on it. I have chosen a long and irrelevant name for my account and quite frankly am tired of typing it all in. 

That is all.

3 comments:

vtindievet said...

God - the joy of being an animal. You can totally shit on someone and get away with it. What a lovely thought.

August said...

I totally know what you mean. A coworker that I used to be fairly close with (until she transferred to another state) bought her first home for $600,000 right after she graduated college. When I was house-hunting myself, I told her that we were looking for homes in a low price range, and her response was, "Oh, so only like $300,000?"

I barely even knew how to respond to that. If I EVER get to the point where I can afford a $300,000 home (let alone refer to the price range as "only"), I'll be absolutely shocked. I mean, this girl's family owns an ISLAND up north somewhere. How could she possibly relate to me?

August said...

One of your Etsy items should be named "basket of kittens." No, seriously. It would be HILARIOUS.