Tuesday, April 20, 2010

springtime prep.

Well, anyone who says Central Oregon never gets any rain obviously has never lived here for an entire year. Spring is a season of serious precipitation (can you say that 5 times fast?) - in fact, I like to ponder just how much water one could collect with the right size container. And how much drinking water one could glean from collecting all this precip with the right filtration system?



At any rate, our barrels are full and our gardens are getting a ton of water. My bitterroot is about to burst into bloom, and several plants that I was sure I killed are leafing out, including two (small) golden currants and two serviceberry shrubs. Also, my little sticky geranium has resurfaced! (This is mostly exciting because I'd forgotten I'd planted it.)








A friend of mine built two triangular garden beds out of scrap wood for me, which, I think, makes our little cement patio look a million times better. I'm not sure what will go in them but I'm thinking a hardy succulent/cactus garden in one and perhaps an herb garden in the other.

Finally, I have taken the plunge this year and planted potatoes. A friend at work gave me some lovely little heirlooms that grow like weeds on the west side of the mountains and they've gone into a huge tub I purchased at a thrift store for a few dollars.





Needless to say, I am READY for this gardening season!

No comments: