Friday, June 4, 2010

nesting.

There's a nest on our porch. It belongs to a mated pair of house finches.


I got on the tallest chair in the house and tried to peek in, but I was still too short. I know mom's spending time on it because when I open the front door she bolts, but I'm not sure there are eggs. 




Here's a poor photo of mom and dad. It's been raining for days and the white clouds in the background made the birds fairly dark, but you can still see that the male has a showy red head. 


Here's the male regurgitating or mock-regurgitating food into the female's mouth. It may sound gross to us, but it's an integral part of the courtship between the two. Males will also perform elaborate dances, flexing their wings and even hopping back and forth over the females. 

I sure hope eggs appear, followed by some baby finches. We'll see what happens.



No comments: