Tuesday, May 18, 2010

pressure.

It's silly how when you start a blog for a specific purpose and then don't quite follow that purpose perfectly, there's suddenly pressure. "What can I write about sustainability today?" I think to myself, and when I come up with nothing because my boss has been a dick at work, or the dog just threw up on the floor, I get frustrated and don't write at all. Does this happen to you, bloggers who read my pitiful ramblings?


The very reason I love to read people's blogs (the same reason, I will ashamedly admit, that I also love to read people's private journals) is because they're just telling stories. They interpret their lives so that others may understand them. Blogs like An Apple a Day and She Has My Eyes aren't teaching me how to build greenhouses but I love them. I love to know people's stories and experiences. I guess that's what I hope for my own writings here - that people read them because they're interested in my stories. Hm. That sounds awfully vain now that I've said (typed) it out loud. When I share my journal-reading secret with people (only ones that I've never read the journals of), they're usually horrified. Justifiably so. But I can't help it. Most people can't talk about their innermost thoughts and feelings with many people, and so they write them down in little secret books. I want to know people, and I want to know the things they think are so scary and horrible and embarrassing that no one should know about them. If that makes me a terrible person, I understand, but I can't apologize for wanting to know people on a deeper level. Clearly, that's why I blog and read blogs. It's kind of like journaling for some people - they can be completely anonymous and say what they want, so the innermost parts of them can come through. 


And, for those of you I know, don't worry - I never read any of your journals. But I really freaking wanted to.

No comments: