Thursday, December 11, 2008

my boss got fired.

So today was my second day at work, more like a half day because of exams, and my boss got fired. She'd been there for 20 years but apparently there had to be some kind of reason for her getting canned, because it wasn't just some random layoff. 

The job looks like it's going to be fun: there is a whole Nature Center to attend to complete with trails and little gardens, and a host of creatures to care for. There are three snakes, a handful of toads and frogs, some lizards, four owls, a goshawk and a bald eagle. I'll only be able to actually interact with a small number of those, but it's fun to take care of them anyway. I'll be doing a lot of programs with kid and adults come spring time so for now I'm just settling in and learning the ropes. The move from apartment to house has shaved a good 10 minutes off the drive which makes me REALLY happy (now 25 instead of 35), but I won't get my hopes up too high since I do have to cross a 4500 foot pass in order to get there and the snow hasn't started yet. For now it's only part time, and I'm hoping that translates into me being more motivated to get my Etsy shop up and running. I already have my tags and banner made, now I just need to get to sewing. I'm trying to narrow down my selection of goods to what I make the best and what I enjoy the most, so I'll probably have a number of yoga mat bags, greeting cards, tote bags, and.. well some other stuff. I also want to offer some small animal/spirit quilts, but those are extremely time consuming and take me months to finish. We'll see. 

I leave for Baltimore on Monday and I could not be happier. I can't wait to see my mom and my best friend and spend some time in Hampden and Fells Point. It's been an entire year since I've been home, and this year I set aside two whole weeks to spend with the fam. Unfortunately my grandparents are being jerks and don't really want to talk to me, but at least I have mom and the dog. 

Well, I think Tiara is the only one that reads this so I'll cut it short here. 

No comments: