Monday, October 20, 2008

We liken our worlds to glass bowls 
or thin-skinned balloons,
and only a few people are given 
the sharp pins of our trust and hope.

I don't possess a word to describe
the softness of her skin.
Her long fingers stained with nickel and ivory
Her life a delicate composition.

Once I loved a boy with eyes 
like moving water.
But he was smart the way glass cuts.
Our paths diverged before they'd met.

Before him was Eve's counterpart;
volatile, but soft
On the insides of his heavy black clothes
We were exactly what the other needed.

But you, my sweet, our dreams 
are already written
in the lines of our eyes and tired voices
Where has all your joy gone?

The recovery time 
for this kind of amputation - 
a separation of parts - is so long that
I can't see the end of it.

Before you, I wanted to draw the blinds on love
It's too messy and it blinds you
so that when it's gone
You're in total darkness.

I dreamt last night that I was 
searching for you in a tall house
And when I finally found you at the top..

You were happy to see me.

No comments: