Thursday, October 16, 2008

Stupid white people.

Part of a reply I made in daisysdeadair blog. Just felt like saying it here, too.
_________________

Daisy, when I first started reading Rose's comments, I was almost sick with fury. Then I read your comments, and I felt much better. Thank you for expressing the hidden-in-the-textbooks facts that all white people are immigrants, and we were welcome here (unlike the way we whites welcome the 'brown' people in every way, in every century) by the vast majority of the aboriginal peoples until we started acting like assholes. My family came here only a generation ago, but I will still take a white person's responsibility for our ancestors' big fat fuck-up, because if we don't, who the hell will?

I can't stand this right wing, privileged and blind white person bullshit. It makes me sad that people like Rose are so completely disillusioned, that they could possibly think immigrants are making an attempt to enter and ruin our country. If I was living without clean food and water, and watching my family members die in the streets, you can bet your ass I would come to another country for the promise of a few dollars to send home. Which, in my experience, is what most of them are doing. And they aren't happy. They're not happy being separated from their families, and they're not happy being treated like the shit on the bottom of the white man's shoe. (See: blacks from Africa, Natives from "America", and any other non-white culture.)

Why are people so blind to racism? I'll tell you why. Because they've never spent one fucking moment of their lives looking at real, true poverty. And I'm not talking homeless people on American streets. I'm talking kids dying from literal starvation or malnourishment, mothers dying of rape-caused AIDS and no one gives a shit, I'm talking about shacks built out of metal scraps and cow shit, about people with healthy cultures and respectful religions who now live with alcoholism and drug addiction in poverty-level reservations - and, Rose and all you other ingrates - NOT because they're lazy, NOT because they'd rather sit around boozing, NOT because they didn't try hard enough. 

You know why Rose? Because of US. Because of white people. You have a whole hell of a lot of reckoning to do, and most of us white people are afraid. Afraid to look in the mirror and see that where we came from shed more blood than we could ever consciously handle. WE are the ones taking. Takers. Wasichu. Lakota word for white people, roughly meaning 'takers.' It's no coincidence. We take the natural resources, we tell those people their cultures and religions are wrong, and we destroy them. Then we show pictures of them on TV and feel a moment of pity before changing the channel.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Glad to have the comment first!

:)

And yes, copying and pasting in Blogger will give you gray hair in a hurry.